wwTLD/ccTLD

wwTLD/ccTLD list archives

[cctld-discuss]

RE: [cctld-discuss] ccNSO membership applications.

Joel,

I'll do my best;-)

1. If a ccTLD has a contract with ICANN then they are contractually
bound by various things but as most ccTLDs don't have a contract let's
ignore that for now.

2. When you join the ccNSO you agree to be bound by the ICANN bylaws
while you are a member of the ccNSO. Therefore, if ICANN were to
introduce a new bylaw that has an effect on the ccTLDs then you would be
bound by it unless you quit the ccNSO OR unless you apply to be exempt
from it (see point d) below)

3. BUT under the bylaws (Article IX Section 1 Clause 1) it states that
developing and recommending global policies relating to ccTLDs is the
job of the ccNSO. So, any global policy relating to ccTLDs must be
developed and recommended using the ccNSO Policy Development Process
(Annex B to the bylaws). And, in the PDP it states that if the ICANN
board does not accept a recommendation from the ccNSO then the ICANN
board MUST maintain the status quo. The quote from the PDP is:

" ......if the Board shall decide not to accept a
ccNSO...recommendation.... then the Board shall not be entitled to set
policy on the issue addressed by the recommendation and the status quo
shall be preserved until such time as the ccNSO shall, under the ccPDP,
make a recommendation on the issue that is deemed acceptable by the
Board."

So let's look at how this might work in simple terms and the possible
outcomes:

a) A global policy relating to ccTLDs needs to be made.
b) The ccNSO launches the PDP and comes up with a recommendation.
c) If that recommendation is not accepted by the Board of ICANN then the
Board cannot make policy on that issue and must maintain the status quo.
d) If the recommendation is accepted by the Board of ICANN and the
policy is made then, as a member of the ccNSO you have 3 choices;
	You can accept the policy and follow it.
	You can seek an exemption from it under Article IX Section 4
Clause 11 on the basis that implementation of the policy would 	require
you to breach custom, religion, or public policy your country.
	You can quit the ccNSO and thus not be bound to follow the
policy.

In a nutshell, that's it. I hope it's clear but I do understand that as
I and others have been 'immersed' in this for some time what seems clear
to us is not always clear to others.

Hope that helps and if you or anyone else has any questions please let
us know.

Cheers,

Chris Disspain
CEO - auDA