wwTLD/ccTLD

wwTLD/ccTLD list archives

[cctld-discuss]

Re: Re: [cctld-discuss] ccNSO membership applications.

  • To: Nigel Roberts <nigel@isles.net>
  • Subject: Re: Re: [cctld-discuss] ccNSO membership applications.
  • From: Stephan Welzel/Denic <welzel@denic.de>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 17:00:19 +0200
  • Cc: cctld-discuss@wwtld.org, member@aptld.org, Paul.Kane@nic.ac
  • Sender: cctld-discuss-bounces+elisabeth.porteneuve=cetp.ipsl.fr@wwtld.org

Nigel,

On 01.09.2003 15:49 Nigel Roberts <nigel@isles.net> wrote:

> The application form signs you up not just to the 'limited number of
global
> policies' but to /ICANN's/ by laws. The Board could in the future adopt
> by-laws
> and a ccTLD manager would be bound by them

This is _precisely_ the point:

The ICANN board can change the bylaws anytime without even asking the
ccTLDs and with that get rid of the whole ccPDP. Since they have agreed to
be bound by the ICANN bylaws, the ccNSO members would then be bound to
whatever rule the ICANN board chooses to replace the ccPDP with (which
would probably be: "The members of the ccNSO are bound by whatever policy
the ICANN board implements.").

And before any supporter of the ccNSO in its current form answers to this
remark: I know already what the answer would be, as we keep hearing it
whenever concerns with regard to the ccNSO are being expressed: "Well, if
you don't like it, you can leave."

Technically, that's obviously right. But in fact one might find it
impossible to leave, be it for legal reasons, or be it on the basis of
political considerations - or be it even due to some pressure from ICANN
itself.

Besides, I wonder why a registry would join an organization in the first
place when the only argument for doing so seems to be the fact that the
registry can later leave this organisation.

Best,
Stephan