ccTLD Constituency of the DNSO

ccTLD Constituency list archives

[cctld-nominations]

[cctld-nominations] Elisabeth Porteneuve's acceptance of nomination for the NC

1. Full name of the nominee: Elisabeth Porteneuve

2. E-mail address of the nominee: Elisabeth.Porteneuve@cetp.ipsl.fr

3. Registry of the nominee: .FR

4. Snail-mail address (street, city, country):
      AFNIC
      (Association Francaise pour le Nommage Internet en Cooperation)
      Domaine de Voluceau - Rocquencourt BP 105 - 78153 Le Chesnay Cedex
      France

5. The region that includes the country of which you are a citizen: Europe

6. The region that includes the country in which you reside: Europe

7. A clear statement of acceptance of the nomination:
      I accept the nomination for the DNSO Names Council position
      as send by Dr William Black from .UK and supported
      by Herbert Vitzthum from .AT

8. A Curriculum Vitae (no more than 500 words long):

   Now, 1998-2000:

   - Adviser to the General Director of AFNIC, http://www.nic.fr France,
     and Computer Department Manager at CETP (CNRS laboratory).

     AFNIC (Association Francaise pour le Nommage Internet en
     Cooperation) is a non profit private organization managing
     French top level domain names. CNRS (Centre National de la Recherche
     Scientifique) is a French public research organization, similar
     in some way to the NSF (National Science Foundation).
     CETP (Centre d'etude des Environnements Terreste et Planetaires)
     is a research laboratory of approximately 150 persons working on
     space and environmental programs.

   - Elected Director of CENTR, http://www.centr.org (Council of European
     National Top level domain Registries) in 1999 for one year term.

   - DNSO Secretariat, http://www.dnso.org  since 2 June 1999.

   - Joint THNIC-AFNIC ccTLD Interim Secretariat, http://www.wwtld.org
     since 30 June 2000.

   - Hosting "Paris Draft" group working on the DNSO proposal in the
     end of January 1999.

   In the late 1980's and 1990's:

   - Member of differents European groups setting up international
     connectivity with the NSFNET.

   - Vice-President of EARN France in 1989/90, working with EARN-Europe
     and many Polish collegues to connect Poland to EARN/BitNet networks.

   - Member of differents French and European groups setting up
     international connectivity between space agencies.

   - Member of CNRS and CNET (France Telecom Research Laboratories)
     committees working on computer and network deployements for
     research laboratories.

   - Internet Society Pioneer. Funding member of French Chapter of
     the Internet Society in 1996, serving as Vice-President for two
     years term.

   Background

   Education:
   - Mathematics at Warsaw University, Poland
   - Computer Science at Paris 6 University (Pierre et Marie Curie), France

   Languages:
   - bilingual French/Polish, medium level of Russian

9. A statement indicating your ideas, intentions and/or
   the reason why you consider you should be elected to represent
   ccTLD Constituency to DNSO Names Council (no more than 500
   words):

   I have a solid knowledge on ICANN and DNSO issues, being involved
   in Internet matters since its very beginnings. The old-timer
   Internet networker experience allows me a necessary distant
   perspective on the current Internet evolution.

   The ICANN structure is still under construction, its final shape
   is yet unknown, the representation of various interests is on stake.
   The most difficult ICANN Supporting Organization is the DNSO,
   build up from scratch and without funds in early 1999 as an entity
   representing major group of interest (7 Constituencies), and where
   all planetary difficulties and tensions with regard to TLDs has met.
   The DNSO reform has been initiated by its Names Council in
   July 2000 on request by ICANN Board. It is one of places to bring
   ccTLD concerns and make it heard.

   In my quality of DNSO Secretariat I have been attending all
   NC meetings and have a good relationship with its members.

   I have been working for months with ICANN staff and with
   ICANN Board Directors elected by the DNSO. I maintain a permanent
   contact with other Constituencies Secretariat, trying to
   build up a cross-Constituencies relationships.

   The ccTLD has been almost ignored in the US Government
   White Paper document giving a startup to the ICANN organization.
   Subsequently the dominating ICANN concerns has been the
   NSI monopoly as Registry (gTLD issues) and Registrars as well as
   the Intellectual Property interests. The ICANN staff has been
   working hard dedicating necessary human resources to its
   dominating concerns, and let the ccTLD dormant. The ICANN
   President's executive and expeditious approach to the ccTLD
   funding share revealed the damaging ignorance on ccTLD matters.
   Eventually the contract to be established by each and every
   ccTLD as well as Root Servers Managers with ICANN put
   international matters into lights.

   I believe the ccTLD issues should be worked out through three
   main path. The first is within the reformed DNSO structure,
   to make sure that ccTLD matter be well understood and taken
   into account by major group of interests in the domain names.
   The second is using the IANA function, and evolve it one into
   some kind of consortium including ccTLDs. The databases such
   as roster/whois of 244 ccTLDs are crucial, and it is unclear
   if the current poor status is related to still unsolved and
   unpublished internal US matters with regard to the NSI monopoly.
   The third is connected to the establishment of contractual
   relationship between ccTLD Managers and ICANN, which shall
   cover a large spectra of situations as existing in various ccTLDs.
   Whether the burden of ccTLD delegation is to remain on ICANN
   shoulders with US Government behind or shall evolve to other
   solutions is a highly political decision.

   I say yes to ICANN funding by ccTLD group, provided international
   interests are part of ICANN, and under condition of fairness.

   Finally, all ccTLD issues are in motion over time, and the common
   understanding of complicated and diverse relations is growing.
   I strongly believe that permanent communications between ccTLD
   Managers as well as with other group of interests is a necessity
   within ICANN process. I am particularly concerned by registrant
   perspective on all Internet services.

   I do not imagine my work in representing ccTLD group without
   permanent two ways communication. I make myself available to such
   duty if elected as the ccTLD delegate to the NC.

   Thank you for your support.

   Elisabeth Porteneuve
--
ccTLD Constituency of the DNSO