wwTLD/ccTLD

wwTLD/ccTLD list archives

[cctld-discuss]

Re: [centr-ga] RE: [cctld-discuss] Ballot, Straw poll, selectionof European candidate, 3rd member of the ccNSO Launching Group

  • To: Alf Hansen <alf.hansen@uninett.no>
  • Subject: Re: [centr-ga] RE: [cctld-discuss] Ballot, Straw poll, selectionof European candidate, 3rd member of the ccNSO Launching Group
  • From: Nigel Roberts <nigel@isles.net>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:52:47 +0100
  • CC: "'Paul M Kane'" <Paul.Kane@nic.ac>, "'Chris Disspain'" <ceo@auda.org.au>, cctld-discuss@wwtld.org, "'CENTR GA'" <ga@centr.org>
  • Sender: cctld-discuss-admin@wwtld.org

The difficulty is not the motives or intentions of those involved --
which I know are of the best 00  but the /perception/ of motives and
intentions by those not involved.

While I know that the LG is acting from the best of motives, it is not
SEEN to be fair by many people. Most of the 75 European ccTLDs will not
have the opportuntiy to participate in this selection.

It may be being perceived by some, that once again, like the formation
of the Assistance Group, the members of the LG will be being selected as
some kind of arbitrary process, and according to some other criteria . .
(like the ICANN virgin birth directors were . . .)

And my principal objection is that I personally don't think this process
is at all fair to those people who expressed an interest who are not
already known.

There may be an ideal candidate in that list . .  yet there's no way,
without an introduction that the cctld community can vote for them in
your straw poll.

If it needs an extra week to organise a fair election, that, I am afraid
should be the price of legitmacy.