wwTLD/ccTLD

wwTLD/ccTLD list archives

[cctld-discuss]

Re: [cctld-discuss] ccNSO membership applications.

  • To: Chris Disspain <ceo@auda.org.au>
  • Subject: Re: [cctld-discuss] ccNSO membership applications.
  • From: Paul M Kane <Paul.Kane@nic.AC>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:50:41 +0100
  • Cc: ccnso-l-g@icann.org, cctld-discuss@wwtld.org, CENTR GA <ga@centr.org>, member@aptld.org, "'Paul M Kane'" <Paul.Kane@nic.AC>
  • Sender: cctld-discuss-bounces+elisabeth.porteneuve=cetp.ipsl.fr@wwtld.org

Chris Disspain wrote:

>Turning now to some of the other points you have raised:-
>
>	You said:- It will be difficult for many ccTLDs to organise a
>Board meeting to consider membership of the ccNSO
>
>That may well be so and if it is then we will not have enough members to
>proceed with the election.

Chris - I am sure the intelligent members of the LG would not undertake
such an rapid timetable to facilitate their "election" to the Council if
they were not confident of having the necessary number of ccTLDs to move
forward at such a pace.

>	You said:- the outcome of the US Senate Judiciary Committee
>hearing on the 3rd September on "obliging" ICANN make 	ccTLD follow
>gTLD Policy (see attached letter) and URL on the Justice Committee
>hearing - will not be known .... and 	remember ccNSO membership also
>causes ccTLDs signing up commit to following ICANN's own Bylaws.
>
>It may be that some ccTLDs may wish to wait for the outcome of this
>matter. Equally, there may well be others who believe that having a
>formed and operating ccNSO will actually be beneficial in dealing with
>any outcomes that arise. Let us not forget that ultimately local laws
>are paramount, something the by laws recognise. Any changes in the ICANN
>by laws that seek to bind ccTLDs can only bind those who have contracts
>or members of the ccNSO AFTER such a change had been subjected to the
>ccNSO Policy Development Process. And even then, ccTLD managers can
>leave if they wish.

Chris - Please do not put your head in the sand.  This is not about
ccTLDs this is about political survival and who can be "sold-out" to
prolong life.... and IMHO the ccTLDs are potentially the target for
slaughter.  Look at the recent dialogue between the ICANN/GAC/ITU.