wwTLD/ccTLD

wwTLD/ccTLD list archives

[cctld-discuss]

Re: [cctld-discuss] ccNSO membership applications.

  • To: "Chris Disspain" <ceo@auda.org.au>
  • Subject: Re: [cctld-discuss] ccNSO membership applications.
  • From: Marcel Schneider <schneider@switch.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:28:10 +0200
  • Cc: ccnso-l-g@icann.org, cctld-discuss@wwtld.org, member@aptld.org, "'Paul M Kane'" <Paul.Kane@nic.AC>
  • Sender: cctld-discuss-bounces+elisabeth.porteneuve=cetp.ipsl.fr@wwtld.org

On Friday, 29 Aug 2003, "Chris Disspain" writes:

Chris

> Ultimately, threats from US Senators, ITU, WSIS proceedings and the like
> are all the more powerful because there is no 'voice' for the ccTLDs.

Obviously you see the ccNSO as voice for the cc's (?). If this would
be the case, there would be the danger for ICANN to be accused of
hosting a trade organization of registries. Maybe I'm wrong but I
see the political side of ICANN as one of offering platforms and
not as one of determining which direction the globe should spin.
The trade association role is for the regional orgs and their
umbrella.

> The longer we fiddle around the edges waiting for everything to be
> perfect, the more likely it becomes that the ccTLDs will lose control of
> their own destiny.

This sounds dangerous but the two parts of your sentence are not
conclusive. And: which destiny can we lose ? You probaply mean we
could lose our self-determination, perhaps our souvereignty.
Can you think of a so called developed territory without
stable and developed communication infrastructure ? Probably not.
So domain registries are needed. The policies we have to follow
should be determined by our LIC's, the registries have a stewardship
role. And you pointed out in a former mail that local law and
policies will be respected by the ccNSO. Then where's the problem ?

Marcel