wwTLD/ccTLD

wwTLD/ccTLD list archives

[cctld-discuss]

[cctld-discuss] Network Solutions problem ... still

  • To: cctld-discuss@wwtld.org
  • Subject: [cctld-discuss] Network Solutions problem ... still
  • From: Budi Rahardjo <budi@alliance.globalnetlink.com>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:58:46 +0700
  • Sender: cctld-discuss-admin@wwtld.org

[I have no contact at Network Solutions. Could somebody forward this
to Network Solutions? And perhaps to ICANN/IANA too?]

The saga is still going on...
Network Solution screwed up a domain that I use daily (not this one)
and up till today the domain is still missing on the Internet.

After updating the domain (extending for 5 years), suddenly the domain
was missing from all network solutions database.
After a few days, we noticed that and complained.
The domain was put back in the WHOIS database, but that's all.
It is still unavailable.
Days went. We phoned them, and they found out the domain is not
active (which is strange, because we have been using it for years
and suddenly it became inactive).
They said they found the problem (not sure what it is).
They say it has been escalated to the engineering, and it takes
3 to 5 business days!!! And during that day, what we should do?
It is inconceiveable. It was *THEIR* fault and my emails are bouncing
(web site unaccessible).

As a domain admin, I would categorize that as a critical priorty.
My email (and even cellphone) is open 24hours/day for this kind of
problems. Especially if the problem is caused by our enitity.

Questions:
1. Shouldn't there be security and quality assurance to manage gTLD?
   How do clients/customers now that it is in place?
2. What would ICANN do to make sure that all gTLD registrars have
   some kind of quality assurance?
   (ccTLDs are forced to open zone files, but what about gTLDs?)
   Does ICANN review gTLD registrars on regular basis?
   To what extend they do the review?
   [Would they do that to ccTLDs also?]

The irony of this is that before we extend the domain, I got several
suggestions to trasfer the domain from Network Solutions to other
registrars. And, *I* specifically wanted to stay with Netsol (even
it is more expensive) for the reason fo stability.
But now, my eyes are open. I would stay away from Netsol.

We are in the process of opening our .ID domains. There will be registrars.
[We just had a technical design last week, reviewing EPP and such.
Prototype is under development.]
And for sure, unless they clean up their act and prove that they have
some kind of qulaity control, Network Solution is not going to be on
the list of acredited registrars.

Regards.

-- budi