wwTLD/ccTLD

wwTLD/ccTLD list archives

[cctld-discuss]

Re: [cctld-discuss] Ballot, Straw poll, selection of European candidate,3rd member of the ccNSO Launching Group

  • To: Chris Disspain <ceo@auda.org.au>
  • Subject: Re: [cctld-discuss] Ballot, Straw poll, selection of European candidate,3rd member of the ccNSO Launching Group
  • From: Paul M Kane <Paul.Kane@nic.ac>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:24:48 +0100
  • CC: "'Alf Hansen'" <alf.hansen@uninett.no>, "'Paul M Kane'" <Paul.Kane@nic.ac>, "'CENTR GA'" <ga@centr.org>, cctld-discuss@wwtld.org
  • Sender: cctld-discuss-admin@wwtld.org

Hi Chris

Chris Disspain wrote:

>Paul,
>
>I may be a little confused. I understood from an email from Tim Mertens
>that Centr would be organizing a nominee to the LG (by whatever means it
>wished) from among those members of Centr that nominated.

Indeed and Tim was clear (following a recommendation of a CENTR Board
Meeting) that we would hold an ELECTION for the European Region (not
only CENTR members) both for the LG and for the Council.  CENTR staff
have been working to that end - making sure the process is open,
inclusive and as transparent as possible.

The size of the European Region has been increased dramatically by ICANN
- every ccTLD manager is equally important - and I find it offensive
that self-selection by the "inner-circle" is still in-vogue when we are
trying to make the ccNSO as inclusive as possible and be seen to be
responsible and responsive to the vagaries of diversity - cultural,
legal and electorate diversity.

>If that was
>the only European nominee then they would become a member of the LG but
>if a non Centr member nominated also then the LG would need to make a
>choice. Is that not your understanding?

No.  The LG should not be self selecting it's membership - and the
European Region is now 75 ccTLDs so it is more than CENTR's membership
(- although CENTR membership is increasing).  There are 5 candidates in
Europe, 3 of whom are not known to many ccTLD Managers in Europe.  How
can any person either through the LG self selecting or an election,
choose a REPRESENTATIVE where information is not know about the
candidate.  Further emphasizing the need for a proper process of election.

I hope this clarifies my understanding, and I sincerely hope this
introverted approach to diversity that has dogged ICANN in the past will
stop - so that we may move forward with issues of substance that are
truly global.

Best regards

Paul